Baking a Christmas Fruit Cake | No Alcohol Christmas Plum Cake is a must for me. I simply love the aroma of this cake. The spices and fruity flavor makes Christmas cake very special. No one can resist Christmas cake for sure. You know, I can bake this cake in kilograms and don’t get tired of baking. I must say this is a go-to recipe. I sold somewhere around 10 kilograms of cakes to my colleagues and friends and they loved it.
What’s special about this Christmas Fruit Cake?
As hard as it is to believe, I first shared this fruit cake recipe back in 2013. It has been a holiday staple in our household for as long as I can remember. Christmas isn’t Christmas without several slices of my mom’s famous fruit cake!
Nearly six years have passed and since then, it has become one of the most popular holiday recipes on A Beautiful Plate.
If you’re a fruit cake cynic, hear me out! This is the best fruit cake in the world – and the only fruit cake that I’ve ever loved and enjoyed.
Tips to make Christmas Cake
I use a simple trick to make this amazing Christmas cake, first I weight the eggs (1 egg is approximately 50-60 grams). Then I take an equal amount of sugar, flour or maida and also the butter, were as to make this cake more special and tasty I add some almond flour. Which makes this cake richer in taste. It is best to use soaked dried fruits and but for this recipe. I usually soak it a month before I make this cake.
I used orange juice to soak it. But you can use whiskey, Brandy, Rum, or even wine to soak the dried fruits and nuts. And there is no hard and fast rule on how much-dried fruits or nuts you need for soaking. It’s completely up to you. One thing you need to make sure of is that you need to put orange juice or alcohol till the dried fruits and nuts are completely covered.
For this recipe, I have used different spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, dry ginger. And these are completely optional or you may add any 1. I like my Christmas cake with choice, maybe because Christmas comes in winter and we like more ginger and spice in our daily food as well. So let’s quickly check out the video to make this Christmas Cake.
This fruit cake batter is sticky and packed with dried fruit pieces, which means that it can be prone to sticking, and thanks to the ceramic, easy release coating, I didn’t have to grease or line the loaf pan with parchment paper. The fruit cakes just slid out without issue. The holidays are hectic enough without worrying about your baked goods sticking!
What makes this cake Special Christmas Cake?
- With or without alcohol – the cake has to be just as good with or without booze (I mostly make it without – so it can be widely shared!);
- Not too much peel or citrus flavour – I’m just not a fan of biting into giant chunks of orange rind. I just like a subtle hint of citrus flavour;
- Soft and velvety is how I like the texture to be when you slice through it – it’s how “good fruit cakes” should be. As opposed to “crumbly” with a muffin-like texture. I make muffins all year round, I don’t want my Christmas Cake like that!
- Moist and fudgy – but still distinctly cake-like. Firmer than brownies but a similar fudginess in the middle. Some cakes I tried out this year were far too dry.
- Quite dense but NOT brick-like! Some Christmas Cake recipes are WAY too dense, and you feel like you’re cutting into a block of firm fudge. No thank you!
- Decorating is optional!! The cake should be tasty enough and moist enough to eat plain, without any frosting/fondant or custard.
More Christmas Cake:
HOW TO SOAK FRUITS FOR CHRISTMAS CAKE
Eggless Christmas Cake in Pressure Cooker
Eggless no soak Christmas Fruit Cake
So if that sounds good to you, then I think you’re going to love this Christmas Cake!
Here is the list of ingredients we need to make this super easy Christmas cake
Ingredients Christmas Fruit Cake
- 1/2 cup soaked dried fruits and nuts
- 180 grams of flour
- 3 eggs
- 180 grams of butter
- 180 grams of brown sugar
- 40 grams of almond flour
- 10-15 cashews
- Ginger powder
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
You may also like
Restaurant-style Vegetable Pulao
Eggless walnut brownies
Eggless Mawa Cake
Step by step instructions to make this super easy yet delicious Christmas cake
Instructions to make Christmas Cake
- In a bowl add butter and brown sugar and beat till but becomes smooth and fluffy
- Now add eggs, 1 at a time and beat the butter at least for a minute
- Next, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and beat for 1 more minute
- Now add half a cup of orange juice and mix well
- Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the flour and mix well
- Next, add almond flour to the flour mixture and mix well
- Take 1/2 cup of soaked fruits and nuts and add to the flour mixture
- Add the flour and fruits mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well
- Pour the batter in a greased and lined baking pan
- Bake @ preheated 180 degrees Celsius for about 40-45 minutes
- Do a toothpick test before removing the baking pan from the oven
- Use unsalted butter which is at room temperature. Never you salted and butter directly from the fridge
- Make sure the eggs are at room temperature
- Your soaked fruits and nuts should also be at room temperature
- If you forgot to soak the fruits and nuts, no worries. Just soak for an hour and you will get almost the same result
- Every oven is different, read your oven manual carefully before
This Post Has 4 Comments
Hi..can we omit almond flour and do we have to substitute it with maida
Hi, you can add 1/4 cup maida instead of almond flour.
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. we provide English Rich Cake shop online at affordable prices. for more info visit our website.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.