This hot cross buns recipe is made with a dough that’s lightly sweetened and soft as a cloud. Filled with raisins and blackcurrants it’s sure to impress your taste buds and family!
These Hot Cross Buns use a well-enriched dough with milk & butter, then filled with all of our favourite raisins and currants. Traditional Hot Cross buns use raisins and/or currants, but you can make your own combination of dried blueberries, craisins, and white chocolate. Yes, it’s not a common combination, but goes well.
If this choice of fruits and chocolate is not to your liking, then keep it simple like me and just add currants and raisins. These buns will have your mouth watering as you smell them baking in the oven. With spices like cinnamon, just the aroma of these buns baking will have you waiting for it to come out of the oven. Studded with currants and raisins, these buns are best warm out of the oven served simply with butter and jam, and yes of course with the cross on the top. And doesn’t remember the old Easter nursery rhyme Hot cross buns! Hot cross buns! One a penny, two a penny, Hot cross buns! If you have no daughters, Give them to your sons. One a penny, two a penny, Hot cross buns!
The best part of this recipe is, you do not need to activate the yeast separately, just combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead. You can use the stand mixer if you want but I used my hands to knead it, some workout for my arms!
I made a small batch. You can simply double or triple the recipe if you won’t make a big batch of hot cross buns.
Coming to the ingredients of the Hot cross buns recipe, I kept it very simple and yet traditional, to make my life easy.
- 1/4 cup of raisins and currants
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp cardamom essence (vanilla also works great)
- 1+ 1/2 cups of flour/maida
- 1/4 cups of sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 + 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp oil
- 2-3 tbsp of milk
- 2 tsp flour/maida
- 2 tsp water
- 2 tsp powdered sugar
- Few drops of water
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tsp jam of your choice
- Add raisins and currants to a bowl and add hot to boiling water to it. This just to make the raisins and currants soft.
- Keep it aside for now and move on to the next step
- In a separate bowl, add butter, milk and cardamom essence and microwave for 30 seconds
- Add flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon powder and yeast to the butter mixture
- Knead the dough till it bounces back when you poke it
- Lastly, drain the soaked raisins and currants and add to the kneaded dough
- Drizzle oil and coat the Dough well with it and allow it to rest for an hour to proof
- After an hour knead the dough and make 4 portions and round it well, pinching all the corners inside and put in a greased pan
- Apply milk and rest for another half an hour
- Meanwhile, make the paste of flour and water
- Now apply some more milk and make the cross using the flour paste on the bus
- Bake at preheated 190 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes or till they turn brown
- Once baked apply butter and jam while it is still hot
- Allow it to rest for some time and apply the icing to give the final look of the hot cross bun
If you’ve tried this traditional Hot Cross Buns recipe then don’t forget to leave a comment.
Did you try this recipe? Click a picture and mention or tag us on @bake_with_Neetu. Subscribe to our YouTube Channel Click here to Subscribe to our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipe